Code No. 707.2
In accordance with state and federal law, the Interstate 35 Community School District adopts the following policy to ensure school district employees, families, and students have a shared understanding of expectations regarding meal charges. The policy seeks to allow students to receive the nutrition they need to stay focused during the school day, prevent the overt identification of students with insufficient funds to pay for school meals, and maintain the financial integrity of the nonprofit school nutrition program.
Payment of Meals
Students have use of a meal account; money is to be deposited in the meal account by families and/or students. Methods of deposit may include sending money to the respective office or depositing money through the online system available on the District website.
Students who qualify for free meals shall never be denied a reimbursable meal, even if they have accrued a negative balance from previous purchases.
Negative Account Balances
The school district will make reasonable efforts to notify families when meal account balances are low or have fallen into the negative category. The reminder system will be as follows:
- A payment reminder will be sent when balance gets to $5.00.
- Email notifications will be sent if the balance gets to -$10.00.
- Office personnel will contact via text, phone call or email any family with a balance of -$30 to work out a payment plan, offer free/reduced paperwork assistance (if qualified).
- Building principals will make contact if issue is not resolved through steps 1-3.
- Any student with a balance of -$10.00 will not be allowed to purchase items from ala carte or seconds.
- As a last resort, the District may use a collection agency to resolve delinquent balances for meal accounts.
Communication of the Policy
The policy and supporting information regarding meal charges shall be provided electronically or through other modes of school communication to:
- All households at or before the start of each school year;
- Students and families who transfer into the district, at time of transfer; and
- All staff responsible for enforcing any aspect of the policy.
Records of how and when the policy and supporting information was communicated to households and staff will be retained.
Revised: May 30, 2017