Parents within the school district who have children over age six and under age sixteen by September 15, in proper physical and mental condition to attend school, shall have the children attend the school district at the attendance center designated by the board.
Students shall attend school the number of days school is in session in accordance with the school calendar. Students of compulsory attendance age shall attend school. Students not attending the minimum days must be exempted by this policy as listed below or be referred to the county attorney. Exceptions to this policy include children who:
- have completed the requirements for graduation in an accredited school or have obtained a high school equivalency diploma;
- are attending religious services or receiving religious instruction;
- are attending an approved or probationally approved private college preparatory school;
- are attending an accredited nonpublic school; or,
- are receiving competent private instruction
- is participating in a district attendance plan
It is the responsibility of the parent of a child to provide evidence of the child’s mental and physical inability to attend school or of the child’s qualifications for one of the exceptions listed above.
The truancy officer, principal or school designee shall investigate the cause for a student's truancy. If the truancy officer is unable to secure the truant student's attendance, the truancy officer should discuss the next step with the building administrator. If after intervention on the part of the building administrator and guidance counselor, the student is still truant, the truancy officer shall refer the matter over to the county attorney.
The school will participate in mediation if requested by the county attorney. The superintendent shall represent the school district in mediation. The school district will monitor the student's compliance with the mediation agreement and will report violations of the mediation agreement to the county attorney.
Approved: November 17, 1997
Revised/Reviewed: February 25, 2019