Code No. 303.5
Page 1 of 2
Administrators shall be hired by the Board to assist the Superintendent in the day-to-day operations of the District.
Each attendance center shall have a building principal responsible for the administration and operation of the attendance center. Each building principal, as chief administrator of the assigned attendance center, shall be responsible for the building and grounds, for the students and employees assigned to the attendance center, for school activities at the attendance center, for the education program offered in the attendance center, and the budget for the attendance center. The principal shall be considered the professional advisor to the Superintendent in matters pertaining to the attendance center supervised by the principal. Although the principals serve under the direction of the Superintendent, duties of the principal may include, but not be limited to the following:
• Cooperate in the general organization and plan of procedure in the school under the
• Supervision of the teachers in each principal’s attendance center;
• Maintain the necessary records for carrying out delegated duties;
• Work with the Superintendent in rating, recommending and selecting supervised employees whenever possible;
• Work with the Superintendent in determining the education program to be offered and in arranging the schedules. As much of the schedule as possible should be made before school closes for summer vacation. In the matter of courses offered, the final approval rests with the Superintendent who is in turn responsible to the Board;
• Ensure that proper care is taken of all school books, supplies, materials, equipment, furniture and facilities;
• Instruct teachers to make a complete annual inventory of all school property contained in their individual rooms. This inventory shall be reviewed and filed with the Board Secretary;
• Investigate excessive cases of absence or tardiness of students and notify the parents or guardians of unexcused absence or tardiness. All such cases shall be reported to the Superintendent;
• Make such reports from time to time as the Superintendent may require;
Code No. 303.5
Page 2 of 2
• Maintain the regular schedule of school hours established by the Board and make
no temporary changes in the schedule without the consent of the Superintendent;
• Promptly notify the Superintendent whenever ventilation, sanitation or heating
of the building is unsatisfactory;
• Contribute to the formation and implementation of general policies and procedures of the school;
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Superintendent.
This list of duties shall not act to limit the Board’s authority and responsibility over the position of the administrators. In executing these duties and others the Board may delegate, the administrators shall consider the District’s financial condition as well as the needs of the students in the District.
Revised: December 22, 2014
Reviewed: March 30, 2017