Code No. 302.4
Page 1 of 2
The Board employs a Superintendent of schools to serve as the chief executive officer of the Board. The Board delegates to the Superintendent the authority to implement Board policy and to execute decisions made by the Board concerning the internal operations of the District, unless specifically stated otherwise. The Superintendent shall be vested with the necessary authority and be provided the appropriate personnel to carry out the responsibilities of the position.
The Superintendent shall be responsible for the implementation and execution of Board policy and the observance of Board policy by employees and students. The Superintendent shall be responsible for overall supervision and discipline of employees and the education program.
The Superintendent shall attend all meetings of the Board. The Superintendent may provide the Board with information, advice, and recommendations, but shall not vote.
In executing the above-stated duties, the Superintendent shall consider the financial situation of the District as well as the needs of the students.
The specific responsibilities of the Superintendent include, but are not limited to the following:
• Interprets and implements all Board policies and all state and federal laws relevant to education;
• Supervises, either directly or through delegation, all activities of the school system according to, and consistent with, the policies of the Board;
• Represents the Board as a liaison between the District and the community;
• Establishes and maintains a program of public relations to keep the public well-informed of the activities and needs of the District, effecting a wholesome and cooperative working relationship between the District and the community;
• Attends and participates in all meetings of the Board, except when the Superintendent’s employment or salary is under consideration, and makes recommendations affecting the District;
• Reports to the Board on such matters as deemed material to the understanding and proper management of the District or as the Board may request;
• Assumes responsibility for the overall financial planning of the District and for the preparation of the annual budget, and submits it to the Board for review and approval;
• Establishes and maintains efficient procedures and effective controls for all expenditures of District funds in accordance with the adopted budget, subject to the direction and approval of the Board;
• Files, or causes to be filed, all reports required by law;
• Makes recommendations to the Board for the selection of employees for the District;
• Makes and records assignments and transfers of all employees pursuant to their qualifications;
• Code N. 302.4
• Page 2 of 2
• Employs such employees as may be necessary, within the limits of budgetary provisions and subject to the Board’s approval;
• Recommends to the Board, for final action, the promotion, salary change, demotion, or dismissal of any employee;
• Prescribes rules for the classification and advancement of students, and for the transfer of students from one building to another in accordance with Board policies;
• Summons employees of the District to attend such regular and occasional meetings as are necessary to carry out the education program of the District;
• Supervises methods of teaching, supervision, and administration in effect in the schools;
• Attends such conventions and conferences as are necessary to keep informed of the latest educational trends;
• Accepts responsibility for the general efficiency of the school system, for the development of the employees, and for the educational growth and welfare of the students;
• Defines educational needs and formulates policies and plans for recommendation to the Board;
• Makes administrative decisions necessary for the proper functioning of the District;
• Responsible for scheduling the use of buildings and grounds by all groups and/or organizations;
• Acts as the purchasing agent for the Board, and establishes procedures for the purchase of books, materials and supplies;
• Approves vacation schedules for employees;
• Conducts periodic District administration meetings; and,
• Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Board.
• Supervises the establishment or modification of the boundaries of school attendance and transportation areas subject to approval of the Board.
• Directs studies of buildings and sites, taking into consideration population trends and the educational and cultural needs of the District in order to ensure timely decisions by the Board and the electorate regarding construction and renovation projects.
This list of duties shall not act to limit the Board’s authority and responsibility over the Superintendent. In executing these duties and others the Board may delegate, the Superintendent shall consider the District’s financial condition as well as the needs of the students in the District.
Approved: September 15, 1997
Revised: December 22, 2014
Reviewed: March 30, 2017